Problem that technology is supposed to solve :
- To increase yields and productivity of mangrove rice farming in Sierra Leone.
- Improve the livelihood of resource poor farmers
Technical characteristics of the technology :
- High yielding and disease resistance (leaf blast, brown spot &leaf scald)
- Tolerance to Salinity and acidity
- Tolerance to crab damage and another insect pest
- Good cooking and eating quality
- Good raw milled
- Resistant to rice yellow motor virus (RYMV)
- Good tillering ability
- Resistant to iron toxicity in the IVS
- Note all the NERICA varieties are early maturing
Economic characteristics of the technology
- Acquisition cost :
The cost of acquisition is approximately $25000 – 35000.
- Economic profitability :
- Increase farmers yields and productivity
- Increase farmers livelihood.
- Access to quality and improved seeds
- Comparative advantage :
The improved varieties generated are superior to the later varieties in term of high yielding, quality, resistance to biotic and abiotic stresses.
Limits of the technology :
- lack of adequate funds to disseminate technologies generated to end users.
- Lack of funds to multiply improved technologies generated.
- Lacks the necessary logistics required in the technology generation.